Benjamin Brecknell Turner (English, 1815-1894)
East end, Hawkhurst Church, Kent, 1852-1854
Waxed calotype negative
29.9 x 39.8 cm
At the time Turner made this, the Kent village of Hawkhurst was the home of Sir John Herschel. The scientist and photographic pioneer was a member of the Church of St. Laurence parish for more than three decades. The 13th century church was famed for its stained glass windows, including one that commemorated Herschel. In 1944, a flying bomb crashed on its way to London, demolishing the windows. The title here is derived from that is on a print in the V & A.
This negative reveals something of Turner's working practices. He saw no need for retouching in this view. Once can see the outline trace of the glass pressure plate along the bottom edge. The paper tabs still attached were used to temporarily adhere the negative to the printing frame glass in order to maintain registration when the progress of the printed-out print was examined. They are clearly visible in the border of the print.